Housing Disrepair

If you've reported repairs to your Local Council or Housing Association and they have failed to fix them for you, you may be due COMPENSATION and a rent refund. We work on a NO WIN NO FEE basis to get your home put right and to get you compensated!

What You Can claim For

  • Damp, Mould, Fungus (Respiratory Illness)
  • Cracks
  • Defective Boiler
  • Defective Windows/Doors
  • Internal/External Structural Damage
  • Pests or Vermin (Insects/Mouse Infestation)
  • Leaks, flooding, water Damage or other type of disrepair
  • Defective/Dangerous Electrics
  • Asbestos Related Illness

Basic Requirements:

  • Disrepair must be reported to council or housing association
  • It must not be caused by the tenant
  • The council or housing association must have failed to repair
great firm to work with they don’t give up and work for client satisfaction
Sheirs Solicitors, brilliant service, highly recommended and would definitely use them again in the future. Many many thanks again for everything, you were brilliant
Thanks to Sheirs I am very pleased with the outcome of my personal injury claim.
Hussy Hussain
Hussy Hussain
Amazing service, Got paid within 6weeks thank you very much every one at sheirs solictors 👍
Professional service provided and dealt with promptly.

What is a housing Disrepair Claim

Housing disrepair typically means a rented home or any other type of rented accommodation that is in need of repairs in order for it to qualify as safe and suitable for renters to live.

If you are renting a property that requires repair, you could seek compensation for the inconvenience, discomfort, and suffering. After all, landlords are required by law to ensure that the property they rent out to tenants is structurally in a good state of repair, these requirements include:

  • The property meets necessary fire safety regulations
  • Keep in repair and maintain gas, electricity, water, and sanitation installations
  • Handle mould and damp problems
  • Keep in repair the roof and plasterwork
  • Maintain the structure and exterior of rental property, including external pipes and drains
  • Provide efficient security
  • Fix defective central heating and wiring

Housing Disrepair Info/FAQ’s


Do I need to pay anything upfront?

No. Housing disrepair claims are processed on a No Win No Fee basis.

When making a No Win No Fee claim, you don’t need to worry about anything as we will bear all upfront costs, and you will only need to pay a fee if your claim is successful, this means you will never be out of pocket.


Could I get evicted for making a claim?

Legally, as a Housing Association or Council House tenant your landlord CANNOT EVICT YOU for beginning a claim against them. However, the only exception is if you are in arrears and do not have a payment plan in place. If that is the case, even a payment plan of £1 a month is sufficient protection.

For private renters the law is different and a landlord can serve a Section 21 eviction notice which allows landlords to evict tenants without reasons. There are campaigns to end this and this is something we will assess and advise you on a case by case basis. Even if your landlord does attempt to evict you, we can still assist you with this.


How much compensation will I receive?

The amount of compensation you will receive varies depending on the severity of the disrepair and the length of time since the disrepair was initially reported. Other major factors that can affect your compensation amount are whether you suffered any personal injury, health issues or whether you needed to move out of the property due to its disrepair and it being unfit for habitation.

In our experience in dealing with housing disrepair claims, our previous clients have received compensation varying from £1,000 to £20,000.


If I’m making a claim, do I still need to pay rent?

Yes, you must pay your full rent. If you stop paying your rent, then it will give the Landlord the ability to make a counterclaim against you for a breach of your Tenancy Agreement, also it may give your landlord reason to evict you.


I no longer live in the property, can I still claim?

Unfortunately, you are unable to claim. In order to be able to make a claim, you must be living in the property.


Do I still have time to claim for disrepair?

There are time restrictions on making a disrepair claim, so get in touch with us as soon as you can to allow the maximum amount of time for your case to be dealt with.


How long will it take to resolve my case?

The amount of time this takes is dependent upon the complexity of each individual case, however we will always attempt to resolve the matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.


What if I have more questions?

If you are still unsure about whether or not you can or should make a claim for disrepair, get in touch with us by leaving your information in the contact form above, and we’ll call you back for a no obligation discussion with one of our expert team.

Awaiting Property Repairs?

As a tenant of a social landlord such as the local council or housing association, you have the right to live in a safe and well-maintained home. You are entitled to have full enjoyment of the property you are renting.

If your the Council or Housing Association ignore you or keep delaying repairs you are entitled compensation as a proportion of your rent back.

See if we can help

Have you complained to your Council or Housing Association about repairs that need to be carried out and your property is still not repaired?

We assess all housing disrepair claims free of charge. We determine how successful a claim could be without you spending a penny! If we believe you have a good case we will take on your claim on a no win no fee basis*

Find out how we can help ensure your disrepair is fixed and recover any compensation due.

Receive expert legal advice on your circumstances

Contact Us

Sheirs Solicitors have unparalleled experience in managing all types of legal matters.

Our opening hours are 8:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday

For expert advice and to have your claim assessed on a no win, no fee basis contact our team now.